Friday, October 1, 2010

First october

Liam, gloating because he has not only managed to pull out out his nose tube, he's also scored a spot on my lap

Yes yes, I know that life is full of firsts when you are only 2 weeks old. But they are so very exciting! October is going to be the month of eating. The boys have made it through three meals by mouth so far today. Dash was a bottle man, and Liam had a run directly to the source and ate about half of his lunch then finished it by bottle. Progress! It's a good thing they've been eating by mouth because both of them managed to pull out their tubes....again. Competition, competition. They just need to understand that the tubes only stay out if they continue to be awake enough to eat. My money is on them sleeping through their six o clock dinner, but you never know.


Dash, dealing with some particularly cute hiccups. Liam had some crazy ones earlier, but I had my hands full with him and a bottle and couldn't catch it on video.
----------------

In non-baby news, I'm on egg watch at home. The teenager hens are moving into maturity and hopefully will start laying soon. Doubly hopefully they will start laying in the nest box and not in some crazy place in the woods because the older chickens won't let them in to the nestboxes. These days everyone seems to be getting along but you never know when someone is going to get bossy and crabby. Not only are they going to start laying eggs, I also have no idea what color the shells are going to be. The teenagers are Americaunas, so they should be a shade somewhere between aqua and khaki. My mature easter-egger lays beautiful pale blue jade eggs. I'm kind of hoping that every hen has a distinct color.

1 comment:

constructobot said...

I really like the concept of a newborn "gloating"