Sunday, October 10, 2010

noctournal


Liam does some intense work

Around 10 or 11, Charlie goes to bed and the night begins. The boys pretty much party with me until 4 am, when I wake up Charlie and they magically start eating and sleeping for him. I suppose it's just that I've got their witching hour....hospital babies are notorious for having day and night confused. The rodeo really gets going when both of them want to be held, and it's a two handed operation just to get one into my arms or draped over some part of my body with their little wee floppy necks and all. They don't exactly understand the concept of waiting and only have one reliable mode of screeching communication.

Last night was rough, I'll admit. There was painful spitting up on Dash's part, simultaneous requests to be held and jiggled and at one point I'm not even sure how I got them both onto my lap but there were 5 minutes of peace before Dash spit up again and starting flinging himself backwards and bellowing. Then we all slid down onto the floor and I was inching along on my way to get Liam into a swing so that I could tend to Dash. Charlie just happened to wake up right then and came down to give me a hand (and yes, he makes me promise each night to come wake him up if I need help but I was being stubborn andtrying to see if I could resolve a moderately complicated situation myself!) and we pacified the beasts. Then the night went on and while the three of us didn't exactly sleep, Charlie did and I tumbled into bed at 4am victorious.

lap party

Tonight is the Moby experiment. I'm not agile enough to try the twin carry when I don't have Charlie to rescue me out of it if things get crazy. But I've got Dash stashed in here right now and Liam parked on my lap. There is peace so far, though Liam's eyes do not show the tiniest wee hint of a sort of desire to sleep. Ever. When Dash wakes up hungry, I'll swap who is on my chest and hopefully that one will sleep for a bit.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you for going the extra mile and telling this story instead of just living it! Even though you are up through the night, please know that I am smiling ear to ear at your video of Liam and the tale of last night's hours. I'm trying desperately to go back 37 years to remember the endless nights - it does really fade - and even though I can't, I am instantly in solidarity with you. Onward, and may the boys find moments, then hours of contentment. Stanza

constructobot said...

Sarah, you are awesome- and like mom says- you are actually writing about this and sharing it- I'm lucky if I remember to put my clothes on right-side out! Sorry that they are giving you the night run-around, it will change. I'd concentrate on sleeping when you can and eating all possible snack treats right in front of them, since they won't want them yet. They're too busy flinging themselves around and staying awake. I love all pictures and stories

sarah said...

Good point about the treats Gabe! I will never forget from my visit the suspicious look on Sappho's face when she slyly inquired "what you eat?" Nothing! I was not eating the potato chips we bought especially for the adults that were hiding on top of the fridge! Busted for not sharing by a toddler...