Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Inquiring Moms Want To Know

Moms, behold our new couch!

Charlie couldn't fit on our old beloved couch, so we bought a new one. Thank you to Charlie's grandmother Mimi for helping us furnish our living room by inheriting some of your furniture and by extension your impeccable taste. But I bet you weren't thinking about tall men napping on your couch when you bought it those many years ago. We loved that couch, but it went to a woman in southern Seattle who had her house flooded over the holidays and was overjoyed to finally get a beautiful piece of furniture.

close-up of the fabric texture

Our friend Maggi has swanky modern taste in furniture, and had mentioned a particular furniture store in bellevue a few times so we decided to give it a try. Unexpectedly a couch jumped out at the both of us. Elegant and clean-lined but not sparse. Surprisingly affordable! Charlie flounced down upon it with a sigh of contentment and couldn't even get his toes to reach the far armrest.

vintage pattern, reprinted

I spent the evening crafting an outfit for a friend's baby shower this weekend. I went a little out on a limb, working with a vintage pattern from the 50's when you dressed infants in frills no matter what the sex. I toned down the frills a bit changing out lace for a dyed cotton trim, used a gender neutral fabric, and substituted resin snaps instead of the old-fashioned ties and buttons. Ties on baby clothes just don't seem safe to me, and buttons are a pain in the rear when you are trying to dress a squirmy infant. O industrial snap setter, how I love you.

the front of the gown and nappy cover

the back, with restrained frilly-ness

close up of the fabric -- how can you go wrong with ducks wearing top hats?
(the above pictures are a more true color...the close-up turned out overly yellow)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ducks in top hats! I love it!

I was in a fabric store the other day looking for something to use as corsetry base (coutil being hard to come by any anything under $70/yd, and nowhere local) and I saw a bolt that had kittens having a tea party. I wanted to buy the whole thing, but I couldn't come up with anything that sounded remotely reasonable to explain such a purchase - and Lisa would, indeed ask. ~sigh~
-Bruce

sarah said...

I know which fabric you mean, I think! Was the background pale pink? You could always make Lisa a pair of bloomers trimmed with fancy lace. ;)

My sympathies with trying to find specialized fabric. More often than not I need to order my linen from japan to get a traditional weave. I was positively giddy when I found true muslin (not the natural colored calico you find here) in... Australia. At least it packed light!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that if I made Elisabeth a pair of bloomers with something like that she would thank me very nicely, put them in a drawer, and they'd never be seen again. Perhaps Christine might like something like that? Nah. Probably not her, either. ~sigh~

Umm... I don't remember the background color, actually: it may have been pink. I just remember the cute pattern. Hey - I could get some and use it instead of black felt to line the next set of leather manacles I make for someone! *giggle*

OK, maybe that's not such a good idea, either...