Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Bathroom: Finished!


Yesterday I completed the final steps on the bathroom and rewarded myself with a splendid shower this morning in my gleaming white-tiled bath. I even fixed the crooked hot water handle. The project went a little longer than planned because Charlie pointed out (rightly so) that the fake wood trim I had used to replace the baseboards when we installed the cork floor just didn't look very good. At the time, all I could find was this strange synthetic pressed wood and it really didn't take stain very well. Better than bare wall-bottoms, but not very nice overall.

A few weeks ago I managed to find a lumberyard that also had a millwork department. For the astonishing price of $32 I bought real beautiful trim. I think the stupid synthetic cost more than that! A few passes with the miter saw, and then several long days of stain. Wait. Stain. Wait. Wait. Poly. Wait. Poly. Wait. The house isn't super cold, but things just take a lot longer to cure in the winter time, especially when it is wet outside.

Yesterday I decided that it was dry enough and nailed it onto the wall. Done! Of course, since it took me a few years to finish this project, it's already time for me to re-seal the cork floors. But I think I'll wait until the summertime to do that, when I can throw the window open because I'm sure it won't smell very good.

No comments: