Thursday, January 24, 2008

Cat Quilt

I have this inability to throw a scrap of fabric away if it is bigger than a dollar bill. Next to my fabric in the sewing room is an overflowing box stuffed with folded scraps. The mountain rises and falls, depending on my inspiration level. Last summer I patched together an entire sheet of fabric and made a dress for Calliope.


I've been experimenting with quilting a bit, and know that I love the look of hand-made quilts rather than machine. But there were all these scraps, you see, and I thought why not do a little experiment and see what a totally machine made quilt would look and feel like? I had a specific pile of fabric left over from another project and each piece was cut in more or less the same triangle shape. I just sewed them together in pairs, then ironed out seams and joined into bigger pairs, then strips, then put the strips together. I ended up with something bigger than a pillow cover but smaller than a crib quilt. A cat-quilt, if I may term it thusly.

I put in one layer of very thin lightweight wool batting, backed it with muslin, and put my walking foot on the sewing machine. The triangles suggested a zig zag pattern and I went with that for the quilting in plain white thread. Then I put on the binding (muslin again) and finished that up by hand. Even on a machine quilted piece the binding has to go on by hand or else it gets squeezed along the seam and looks bad in my opinion.


Final verdict: Ok for cats. Or in my case, my bedside table where the little quilt now resides and provides a pleasant backdrop to my lamp, alarm clock, DS, and a book. It came out very very thin and I think that may be the loft of the batting. Just way too low. There is no fluff to it. But I think that also comes from the very tight machine stitching. There is no break between stitches as there is in hand-sewn, no in-and-out gap.

I think I'll try it again sometime with a fluffier loft and perhaps looser tension on the machine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful experiment! I don't have any "machine" experience but think you're on to something about the tightness of the stitches. I'd sure try it again though when your scrap basket fills up. That "look" might be just right for some unimagined project down the road. Great job, Sarah. mom