Saturday, December 15, 2007

my hoof

Charlie's batman pillow grants me super healing powers

Foot surgery yesterday was a breeze. I went in, had IV sedation, got my foot shot up with novacaine and the good doctor sliced me open and shaved my bone down. See the bump on my left foot next to the base of my big toe? I had a much larger one on my right foot. I am not sure how much he removed, because when I asked to see the bone bits shortly after regaining consciousness, he looked at me like I was a little crazy and told me he had unfortunately already disposed of them. What can I say! I like to see my inside parts whenever possible. I was tickled, though, by the fact that everyone noticed my pedicure and was fascinated that I had made my feet pretty for surgery. In my mind, when going in for foot surgery the least you can do is make sure the doctor has something pleasant to look at!

Recovery seemed preposterously easy because my foot was pretty much completely numb until late this morning. During discharge the nurse kept asking me about my level of pain and the only thing I could tell her was that the IV site stung a little. I was told to keep the pain pills by my bed just in case I couldn't sleep through the agony.

Well, I couldn't sleep but it was because every time I heard something I would wake up because I thought it was one of the cats leaping onto my foot. They never did, but I was awake Just In Case. This morning after standing up a bit more than I should and taking a shower, I'm starting to feel like a horse stepped on my foot. It doesn't hurt where the incision was, but rather the rest of my foot. I imagine that during the surgery they must have torqued things strangely and my poor arch is trying to cope with it.

So here I sit. Charlie is feeding me on demand and we played a bit of halo 3 yesterday just for some mindless co-op. It was not horrible, but after playing Charlie's games I'm really spoiled and now demand that game designers actually make their character models distinct so I can tell who the hell I'm supposed to be shooting. Especially since friendly fire is on, and I never can quite tell if that moving blob I'm firing at is a bad guy or someone on my team. Yes, we're playing split screen co-op on an average size tv, but really what did you expect people to be playing your game on? A movie theatre screen?

My fifteen minute timer just went off. Time to put the bag of frozen corn back onto my foot!

3 comments:

Kristie said...

so happy to hear you are doing ok! keep that foot elevated. swelling is no fun

Reagan said...

I asked to keep the pins and screws from my ankle surgery. They put them in a nice little pee cup for me. ha, ha. I hope your recovery goes as well as the surgery. And...the toes do look nice!

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Sarah! Hope you're feeling better. We've been enjoying your blog.

Your Christmas present is on it's way, coming from NC!

Hope you and Charlie have a wonderful Christmas!

Love, Aunt Marti and Uncle Jody