Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas eve



3pm:
The smoked turkey is done unexpectedly early. I think it looks a bit freaky, dark and lumpy and kind of pulled back from the bones. I am unable to make any more complaints because suddenly Charlie has shoved a piece of it in my mouth and I am cooing with pleasure. So tasty! So subtle but very sophisticated. Tender and juicy like a regular baked turkey but with an elusive taste all through it. Verdict: success!



6.30pm:
Food! The kitchen is stuffed with food on every surface as people load plates and cram into the dining room. Fit twelve adults and four children around the table? Sure! We managed to do it. Everyone has been liberally dosed with milk punch and in the holiday spirit. Many ham-related quotes are bandied about, including a reference to Hamlet.



7.30:
Crazy present exchange. Charlie plays Santa while wearing his cork-festooned aussie hat. So many wonderful thoughtful gifts! Tonka trucks and cookbooks and baby shoes and remote thermometers and movies and bottles of wine and crepe pans and shirts and cheese books and bread puddings. Santa certainly came early for all of us tonight.



midnight:
Everyone has made their way home and Charlie and I have finished cleaning the kitchen. It's technically Christmas now, but I think somewhere it is a rule that you have to actually go to sleep in order to get Santa to come. And that's where I'm going! Must leave some cookies out on my way up to bed...

1 comment:

Mona Lisa Magal said...

It was such a fun night. Thank you (and Maya and Ido thank you) for all the wonderful and thoughtful gifts. I can't wait to post on my blog how spoiled you made us. Ham for Jesus!