Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dec 7

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: a festive wreath, one goldfish, batman, a sparkly white snowflake, one delicious looking gingerbread man, a happy bluebird, and one cute disembodied santa head.
---------------

A recipe for hunger: make a mediocre dinner, and then go watch Guy Fieri's "Diners Drive-Ins, and Dives." I tried last night, I used our classic hash formula (meat, veg, onions, potato) and threw together a skillet of lamb sausage, shredded brussel sprouts, onions, fresh thyme, and diced potatoes. Sounds good, but it was blah. Charlie and I each dutifully ate a plate for dinner and then decided to relax downstairs with some cooking shows. Guy went to a diner that serves americana food, and put together a hamburger that looked so very delicious.

Then there was an italian joint rolling their own wafer thin pasta with vodka sauce, and making tons of sandwiches on homemade bread buns that I would kill to duplicate. And on, and on, and on. We were both drooling. It was time to go to bed, and I consoled myself with a few toasted slices of whole wheat homemade sourdough with butter and honey. It didn't do the trick. The loaves I made the other day are too dense, even though I added quite a bit of vital wheat gluten. My belly was full but my brain was still hungry. Then, well, I just went up with the boys to bed.

And tonight I bought the goods to make some hamburgers, and scored some brioche rolls, some crinkle sweet potato fries, and am hoping that things turn out the way they are in my mind!

---------------
Cute boys, doing cute things:


Liam ponders the cosmos from Charlie's lap

Dash poses for some cheesecake shots

Liam, well, enjoys sleeping sometimes

Doing the hand-jive in their big-boy outfits from Sonia

2 comments:

constructobot said...

hey- sourdough-leavaning secret: millet. Soak a cup or two of that and fold it into the dough- your bread will suddenly be voluminous (I made a yeasted version with 3 cups of millet that was almost too much- and the bread was silly huge). Think of it like edible vermiculite.

sarah said...

genius! I shall have to find some. I usually don't put any seeds or herbs in my sourdough so I never thought of it. You add with the first long rise, yes? (before forming the loaves)