Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dec 12 & rainy

On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me: one sly grey cat, a charlie brown ornament, one jaunty snowman, a lone acorn, one golden bell, a festive wreath, one goldfish, batman, a sparkly white snowflake, one delicious looking gingerbread man, a happy bluebird, and one cute disembodied santa head.

---------------

While my sister has been enjoying holiday snowfall (well, enough for several holidays really) in Minneapolis, it's been raining here. Really really raining. The best part is that the weather system is referred to as a "pineapple express." I love pineapple. The worst thing is that there's flooding all over the place, and I am constantly watching the drainage on our property to make sure we don't all slide down the hill. The chickens are crabby because their coop gets wet (there's really no way to keep the rain from blowing in) and I don't let them out because our entire property is saturated and I don't want them digging around in the mud too much.

One of the natural drainage results is our seasonal stream. It runs along the side of the house nestled in the trees. During the summer lush ferns grow, so now there's a roaring creek running through and over prehistoric-sized enormous ferns. It sounds lovely.



For scale, the moss-covered tree trunk at the end of the video is too large for me to wrap my arms around.

---------------
farmer Liam in his cute denim overalls

1 comment:

constructobot said...

nicolaas will probably spend our visit playing in your stream- it is so pretty!

I just want to bite Liam's little cheeks! he looks so satisfied with himself