Tuesday, March 18, 2008

new girls

Three more girls have joined the flock and are peeping away in the kitchen.

Candace, a gold sex-link hen, will be some combination of butterscotch and brown and white when she is grown and lay whopper brown eggs. She's also our only chick 100% guaranteed to be a girl. Through careful breeding, black sex-linked chicks have a big spot on their head if they are boys, and gold sex-links are all white if they are boys and gold/brown if they are girls. Science!


Eunice is a Delaware hen. She will be mostly white with a black tail and maybe a little necklace of black feathers. She's currently the tiniest chick and spends a lot of time sitting around conserving energy.


Ursula II is a Silver Laced Wyandotte and a replacement for my very favorite chicken that was eaten last year. I am hoping that this Ursula turns out to be as lovely as the last one was.


Now I am just waiting for my last two chicks, which should come in sometime late next week. I decided to not get all serious birds and splurge on a few fun ones, and settled on two Crested Polish. They have the chicken version of a beehive, a huge pouf of feathers on the top of their heads. I can't wait to see what mine will look like!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Crested Polish! Yay! The Don King Chickens! (those are so fun-looking)

I have celebrated your new chickens' appearance by breaking out a feather from my cache and have been torturing my cats with it. They loooove feathers, so if I want to keep any around for craft use I have to hide them very well.