Thursday, March 6, 2008

Marian is all grown up

I was talking to mom on the phone yesterday evening, and stepped outside to see if I could get Harold to gobble for her. In looking for the turkeys I happened to glance inside the coop and saw something laying in the middle of the floor. It's small, it's a bit misshapen (really pointy), but it appears that Marian has laid her first egg! The color is a bit off in these pictures, but it is a milky cream color with a heavy smattering of tiny brown freckles. Every breed of chicken and turkey lays a slightly different colored (and sometimes differently shaped) egg.

the artful display, as requested by mom

I washed it and will poke it with a pin and blow out the insides, and add it to my collection of "hen's first egg." I'm looking forward to her next eggs, because I'm going to eat those and see how they taste. Supposedly they are just a wee bit game-y so I will likely pass on having them over easy all alone, but perhaps a scramble with some cheese and spinach.... I'll let you know how they are!

just a bit bigger than a regular chicken egg, but they should be twice as big once she gets laying reguarly

Bonus image: Harry enjoying a brief burst of sunshine yesterday afternoon. Boy, does that cat ever need a shave!

No comments: