Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Calliope Clothing roundup

I've made some outfits for Calliope over the last few months, but usually wait to write about them because 1) surprise mail is the best kind and 2) action shots always look cuter than still photos of clothes draped over chairs.

Birthday suit: Modeled on my often-used smock style dress pattern, an explosion of tulle. Every dancer needs to have an outfit that moves with them.

Jacket: I started a jacket many months ago and made the grave error of deciding that I would just use the pattern as a guide (a one-layer, lightweight summer jacket in a tunisian style) and instead do a fully lined wool winter coat with long sleeves. Not so smart. I finally found someone who makes jacket patterns for kids (they are so hard to find!) and I made their "reversible jacket." Except that I couldn't find any 12-inch reversible zippers so oh well. I had to fiddle a bit to get the zipper to work and used some of the lining in two bias strips framing the front, so at least you get a flavor of the inside. Best of all I had just enough bright blue wool left over from my failed project to use on it. (note to mom and Gabe: no wonder I like Birch Street. They own Folkwear patterns!)

paparazzi style, jacket-wearing captured in action!

No comments: