Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Chair: Complete!


After being ripped down to the bones and built back up again, the chair is complete! Only the original wood and springs remain, and the springs were re-tied to give them some stability. Underneath the fabric there is fresh burlap, new batting, cushy foam on the arms (that wasn't there before) and lots and lots and lots of staples.

my favorite part, a label from the original chair that I transferred to the new seat


There are also a few mistakes, but I'm ok with them. I don't think anyone sitting in it will be analyzing the exact line of the welting, or fretting about a few puckers along the bottom. And, well, there's the part where I attached the bottom skirting backwards. But you only notice that if you compare it to the other chair. After my last class, I had only the cushion to finish and the leg to fix. The cushion turned out to be a lot easier than I thought it would be. The leg was solved by clamping the cracks together and dousing it with wood glue. The legs all have new casters so it rolls much more smoothly.

working on the cushion

Sense of accomplishment? Yes! I already have my next upholstery project lined up. I found a wingbacked chair at Goodwill for $30, and for probably a few hundred in fabric I'll have a lovely wing chair to curl up and read in. But there are many other projects to finish up before I get started on that one, especially the aviary. It's already baby chick season and there is so much to build!

Henry watches over my glue-and-clamp job

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is SO awesome, you are simply a master crafter :) Now you should take that new chair and teach us how to do it!
Let me know when you are going to get the chickies, I am sure Julian would looove to go.

Anonymous said...

Ome is smiling ear to ear, as is your mother. LOVE that fabric. Some little thing in the coop must need slipcovering...