Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Muriel and Penelope III

A few days ago I needed to pick up some turkey food, and casually asked "so, are your chicks in yet?" Turns out yes, they had arrived the day before and were already sold out. I picked up my food, and drove to a feed store one town over. Same story. Chicks sold out in a day or two. Yipes! Now, it's not like there is one shipment of chicks per year, but the shipments are organized by breed. So if I want particular breeds (which I do) then I have a very brief window to get those chicks. Luckily the third feed store (and the only other one I could think of) had just gotten theirs that morning and still had a huge tub full of peepers.

Penelope III is the latest in a long line of Plymouth Barred Rocks. She'll be black and white striped when she is grown up, and lay creamy brown eggs. Hopefully this one will stay alive!


Muriel is a Buff Orpington. I had one of these many years ago when I was sharing a house in Kirkland, and the breed is so gentle and nice. They are puffy and golden blonde colored and lay speckled brown eggs.


I got the list of the next chick shipments at the feed store, at least by week. Now I just have to try not to look like a stalker when I casually "drop in" every other day to see when they've gotten in the other breeds that I want.


These tiny girls have taken up residence in the kitchen and will stay there until I get the aviary built.

Really!

Don't laugh at me. I am going to get that damn thing built. It just has to stop raining so I can pour some cement.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know, every time I see one of these posts, it makes me want to buy a house where I could have a few chickens roaming around.

Congrats on the new flock members.

constructobot said...

yay! more chickens- I wasn't sure if you were only going the turkey road from now on. And, I'm embarrassed to admit that I never thought about turkeys laying eggs. heh heh