Saturday, September 1, 2007

How much cauliflower can you eat?

tasty, tasty

Really, take a guess. Think about a head of cauliflower, and tell me how much you think you could eat in one sitting.

You know how much I could eat? An Entire Head of Cauliflower. Last night I made dinner, and Charlie ended up working way late so I was in possession of a huge pot of tasty lentils and a head of roasted cauliflower. The lentils, they were quite tasty. Two onions, sauteed long and low to sweetness in olive oil, add 1 cup french green lentils, 1 cup basmati rice, 3 cups chicken stock, bake in oven 1 hour or so. Simple and good. Cauliflower: cut up one head into 1/2 inch slices, toss with olive oil and a bit of salt, roast in 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.

Charlie called me while I was eating and I remember saying "I think I might go back for more cauliflower." I mean, would Richard Simmons throw on his mr. goodbody skinsuit and castigate me for eating my fill of *cauliflower* for heaven's sake? It amounts to the most dietetically free item in the entire universe! So I went back for more, and I went back with a vengeance. Oh my it was so very good.

spite!

Today Charlie did not work (!) and we went to the Redmond farmers market and bought an alarming amount of tomatoes (around 15 pounds) to make ketchup. I will be industrious on Monday when I have the day off from work. We also got some melon, and some cheese, and some absolutely divine russian stout beer and sat out on the deck in the late sunshine and played spite and malice. Right now Charlie is taking a nap to absorb the mellowness of that superb beer, and I am going to go wake him up to eat more cheese and melon and some left over lentils.

happy summer henry

Alas, there is no leftover cauliflower.

No comments: