Monday, September 15, 2008

twirl

I came home this afternoon to a phone message from my sister requesting a super-twirl skirt. It is a credit to my sister's fun-loving and fancy free nature that I first started computing in my head to see if I had enough fabric to make her a super twirly skirt.

Then I realized it was for Calliope. I've had fun over the years making her clothes that are sometimes practical and sometimes more like dress-up. It seems that lately she has been preferring the items that have the best twirl. I know exactly what she means. When Gabe and I were young we used to do the same thing. Put on a skirt, whirl around, and then judge it on movement. There was one pleated skirt (or was it a dress?) that did this crazy thing where it belled out horizontally and then fell straight down. While you turned around fast you looked like you were wearing a tall wedding cake.

Calliope twirling in the petticoat of a red riding hood costume I made her last year

Sewing experience tells me that the more volume the better. I headed downstairs and pulled out a big piece of lilac calico that I hadn't known what to do with and some plain white. I figured I would intersperse some straight panels with some triangular pieces. Sort of a bastardization of a dirndl skirt and a flamenco style. Along the way I kissed my serger for providing me with a three-thread rolled stitch which meant that I could connect the fabric decoratively and have no seams to worry about having to hide. It also made for a weightless hem, important when you are looking for swishy volume.

twirly back

twirly front

I piled a lot of fabric onto the waistband and gave it two ties. Since it's more dress-up than super functional, I'm assuming that it will likely be worn over pants or tights. No fussy zippers or buttons here. And just in case the twirl isn't enough I threw together two gypsy wristbands with bells. A girl should have her own musical accompaniment (and Gabe, I promise the bells are not too annoying!).


This will go in the mail tomorrow....and I demand pictures of it in action! I'm kind of breaking my rules by showing pictures before it's been received, but since it was specifically requested I'm not ruining a total surprise.

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 5
Eggs laid this year: 123

1 comment:

constructobot said...

!!!!!!!
eeeek! you are like a fairy goddess-aunt! Can I even tell you how excited I am. And I'm laughing that you thought it was for me :-) . I'm looking forward to the wrist bells- Calliope has been watching bellydancers and morris dancers at the fair, so bells are on her mind, too.

yay!