Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Urban logging


I was driving to work yesterday and noticed that half of one of our neighborhood streets was blocked off by a huge flatbed. Then I saw the Enormous Logs lying there. I've always got my camera within reach, so I managed to snap a few pictures through the windshield (apologies for the blurry-ness). I know that much of the woods around here are an illusion. Many a wooded copse is actually a plot of land that the owner just hasn't gotten around to building on. Our plot of land looks a lot bigger than it is, because the land directly next to us (behind the shed) is one of these "someday" lots. Our chatty neighbor keeps me updated on when she thinks the owner will start building, because she's known him for years. Our three acres should keep us private for the most part, but I know someday there's going to be someone closer to us than I want. I can only hope that they don't have chicken-chasing dogs.

As I was taking my logging pictures, the guys started looking at me and I realized that I looked like some sort of enviro-nazi, gliding down the street silently in my hybrid car with the strange chicken feathers hanging from the rearview mirror. Perhaps they thought I was documenting their Rape Of The Land so that I could come back later and protest? I admit that every time our Woodinville neighbors cut down a grove of trees I shed a little tear. Sometimes I even get a little angry, especially when one of my favorite forests was cut down about a month ago. One day it was a medieval shady druid grove, and the next the trees were magically gone and raw dirt surrounded the poured cement slabs for mega homes.

But I promise to limit myself to heavy leaflet campaigns. And if you get that joke, I applaud you.

-----------
We had a family evening with great friends, something we haven't done with them in absolutely ages. Watched a boy smear beans all over his lap and crow with glee while stuffing a quesadilla fragment into his mouth. Charlie got bitten by mosquitoes while the boy ran around the backyard wielding a yellow shovel. We bought our tickets for Australia, and will be jetting off in mid-november for two weeks of excitement. After years of planning we're finally going!

-----------

Tomorrow's bento: quick and dirty! Chili beans from a can, with corn. On the top level an amalgam of pickled asparagus, orange bell pepper, smoked cheddar cheese, and prunes. I love all of those items separately, but was kind of raiding the kitchen to figure out what to put in there. Perhaps I'll start eating at the right side and move to the left without mixing flavors.

-----------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 1
Eggs laid in the coop Monday: 1
Eggs laid in the coop Sunday: 0
Eggs laid in the coop Saturday: 1
Eggs laid in the coop Friday: 1
How many days I have neglected this blog: obvious

No comments: