Thursday, August 16, 2007

heart = hardened

bye, penelope

Well, at least Marge and Gladys knew how to fly. I went to go shut the girls up for the night and only the two of them were in the coop. Down in the yard, next to the apple trees was a pile of striped feathers. Whatever got the other girls obviously took Penelope too. I've had my trap out and baited ever since the first episode, and haven't caught anything. Obviously they have a taste for live chicken.

I'm not nearly as upset as the last time. Penelope never was very fond of me, and I quickly adopted a more practical view of fowl-husbandry after realizing I could lose them all at once. I'll just have to content myself with the memory of yesterday evening, when I sat on the stone steps and Penelope ate corn out of my hand and purred and was happy. I had her eggs for dinner tonight and they were tasty. Girl, you gave me a quiche and an egg sandwich and those will have to be the memories.

Definitely no more until the spring. I'm going to keep Gladys and Marge locked up in the coop for at least a week. They shouldn't mind. They are small and for them the coop is enormous. And there will, of course, be treats. I guess I have to break whatever sort of predator rounds this evil is running. Come spring hopefully the bastards will have been run over on the main road or forgotten that our house exists.

I was planning on writing a gushing post about my new orthopedic clogs (really!) but will have to save that for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh so sorry Sarah, this sucks :( I think it's time to install a wildlife camera to finally see what is it that is prowling your chickens. I'll help you install it!

Anonymous said...

Death to racoons, and Disney be damned.