Tuesday, August 21, 2007

all the better to see you with

crazy eyes

Originally I was going to put this in as a quick "wow, look at my super dilated pupils from my eye appointment" picture. Now that I really look at it, I have insane eyeballs. This picture hasn't been altered in any way. It's strange enough to see myself without glasses on. My pupils really are freaky and not centered in my irises. And as much as I know I'm a bit wonk-eyed (my glasses prescription includes something called a prism lens, because my eyes don't focus well on their own and I see double) my eyes really do seem to be pointing in wildly disparate directions.

I visited my favorite optometrist yesterday to see about a new pair of glasses. It peeves me when I can't read street signs, and that usually means that I need a stronger prescription. Luckily the older I get the longer I go between visits....almost 4 years this time. In a rare display of continuity in my life, I've actually been going to this eye doctor for almost 8 years. My file has three different last names in it, let's put it that way. He was the first eye doctor that told me that I was really seeing double and actually went on to *fix* the problem, which will forever endear him to me. They don't even take our particular type of optical insurance and I don't care. He gives me 50% off the exam price and I pay it happily. The usual exam is an hour long, and he checks out everything you could ever think of in your eyeballs. His wife runs the non-doctor part of the business and she has fabulous taste in eyeglass frames.

Charlie and I went several weeks ago when I made the appointment to pick out a pair of new frames. I can't manage to pick them out on my own. Really. I quite literally cannot see myself when trying on glasses, and looking at yourself in a mirror from a whopping three inches away doesn't really give you a feel for a new set of frames. Between Charlie and my favorite frame woman, we picked out a set that are perfect. Now I just have to wait three weeks to have them made. That is the crummy part about having a superfreak prescription. It takes forever to get the lenses made.


Dinner tonight: yay for friends with chickens! Mona's flock is laying like gangbusters and she gave me an entire dozen eggs the other day. I made a tiny dent in it tonight by eating two of them, including one of the Very Special Blue Eggs. There is nothing quite so good as a home raised egg. Add it to some diced potatoes and chicken curry sausage from Larry's Market and it was very tasty. I was especially hungry after working all day, mowing the lawn, weeding for two hours, and re-baiting the trap. It's been moved down by the apple trees to attempt to lure evil raccoons. Humans will win!

No comments: