Monday, July 30, 2007

zucchini birthdays!


First of all, a happiest birthday to my sister. When you get home from your summer vacation journey, there will be a little something waiting for you. A little something that hopefully will remind you of our carefree pre-teen years. I will say no more!

As for the zucchini, let me say that I consider myself an above average speller. I love words. I am quite good at remembering how to spell accommodate, and all of the exceptions to "i after e except before c." But zucchini, that is a tough one. I have to admit that spell-checker usually catches and castigates me on that one. And how many other NPR dorks will remember the broadcast that taught them the difference between castigate and chastise!
Luckily it tastes much better than it spells. I came into some homegrown zucchini this afternoon (thanks, mona!). The most commonly held myth about zucchini: if you have extra, just make zucchini bread. Well, most recipes call for only one CUP of slivered squash. And if you have ever had a plant go wild you know that in the blink of an eye there is a greenish appendage as big as an adult's bicep. Your average "let's just make bread" squash is probably seven or eight cups worth. My gifted wild squash tonight did double duty as half-muffins half-dinner.
King Arthur Flour zucchini muffin recipe. No added sugar!

Which also brings me to tomorrow's bento lunch. On Sunday (when I had copious amounts of time) I smoked a fillet of salmon on a cedar plank. I tossed some of that with squash, and ate part of it for dinner and will have the other part for lunch tomorrow. I also added Ursula's last egg, because I am all about the protein. It was tasty!


Other bento highlights include my cottage cheese mix-up. I didn't want the whole thing to languish all night, so tomorrow I will toss my separately packaged cottage cheese (lower left, and you can tell how much I love fresh ground pepper) with a diced mixture of orange peppers, italian parseley (homegrown) and cherry tomatoes (deck tomatoes are not quite ripe yet. Or more precisely, they ripen one at a time which means that I eat them while standing on the deck). On the upper left side is a small container of organic nonfat yogurt with a nestled spoonful of homemade cherry jam. When you go to work at 8 am, you had better bring breakfast with you.


Sometimes I think that the eating is the best part of working.

-----------

I let Penelope out of the coop today and kept Marge and Gladys inside. They need to learn that the coop is their safe place, and Penelope needed some fresh air, so to speak. At dusk, I opened the door and Penelope went inside to roost. A great sign that they have accepted one another! The three of them were tucked in for the night and no one was fighting. Their friendship has become just a little bit more beautiful.




No comments: