Tuesday, June 9, 2009

inspirado

happy potatoes, outgrowing their containers

The warm weather has been doing wonders for the garden. I even had to break out my tomato-irrigation system early in the season. August is usually the dry time here, and you can go crazy trying to keep needy plants watered. When I was maintaining a p-patch at Marymoor park, I couldn't bike out to the garden every day and water. So I used a system of soda bottles. You poke just a few tiny holes in one end, fill it up, and let it drip. I bury the top few inches of the bottle in the ground and cut a larger hole at the exposed end, then fill it with a handful of rocks to help with stability. The nose of my watering can fits in the hole just right and the tomatoes get a low slow dose of water right where they need it.

drippy

I've tried to use soaker hoses before, but have found them to be a pain in the rear. Plus the garden is so far away from the house that I can't even stretch our super long hose all the way.

---------------

Inspiration struck for a sewing project today. If all works out, it will be a little something for some girls I know who are heading into renaissance fair season with their musical mother....

I am a compulsive saver of scraps

that eventually will become something

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop Monday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop this year: 376

1 comment:

constructobot said...

eep! I see exciting fabric piles, and I thrill! Remember that princess dress we found calliope in that mall? It is still around, getting rather hashed (and now with a big splotch of acrylic paint) and I shudder to think it will be what is worn to the festival...
scraps!