Monday, June 22, 2009

cherry berry

remarkably fake-looking cherries

I found myself on the top rung of a ladder with a shopping bag draped over one arm, wondering why the best looking cherries were always out of reach. I kept picking, and Mona climbed up in the crook of the tree and filled her own bag. Her neighbors drifted by on afternoon walks and were enthusiastically offered cherries right off the tree. Did you know that when you pick cherries they look exactly as they do on slot machines? A pair of green lozenge leaves perched above two long stems each ending in a red drop of a cherry.

the cauldron a-simmer

A little tart, perhaps, but tight skinned and firm and brilliant shades of red. Perfect for cherry jam. On the way home I finally invested in a cherry pitter (for some reason, $12 I had been resisting spending for many years) and proceeded to work my way through hundreds of cherries.

somehow the wide grin doesn't look so harmless when covered with red juice from macerated cherries

The jam was extremely simple and had less sugar than I have used before. The end result was a very low yield but highly concentrated fruity jam. Delicious, especially with creme fraiche and scones.

I even used the last of my special weck jars

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 5
Eggs laid this year: 422

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you where sort of kidding with the whole "it has a face" description of the pitter.
Oh and I can come anytime and make scones so I can try dis :D