Monday, June 1, 2009

garden delight

images of summer: driveway chalk mirrored on bare kid feet

All that sunshine has inspired my garden leap into the summer. I've been leaving the tomatoes and peppers uncovered at night, which is good because they are getting too bushy to properly cover without a degree of squashing. The slug invasion decimated the basil crop but the jerks contented themselves with that and trundled back off into the damp woods.

garden '09 bursts forth!

The squash, pumpkins, and cucumbers have grown their sets of true leaves. Perhaps this year I will finally get a crop of zucchini. Laugh all you want. I've never ever had a squash plant produce. With my last plants I even tried hand-pollination with a paintbrush. One gardener's curse is another gardener's longing, I suppose.

wee little broccoli-in-training

Pole beans are poking up around all of the stakes in the beds. I figured their growth would track well with various plant's needs for less direct sun. The greens will be especially grateful I am sure. Tomorrow I think I'll plant the next crop of greens and carrots, maybe mixed in among the shadier area underneath the tomatoes.

view from the deck

Today was my first proper harvest: mixed greens, dill, anise, cilantro, lemon verbena, and snips of thyme. I have an unbridled passion for green salads with vinaigrette, the more herbs the better. To celebrate today's bounty I bring you the best salad dressing ever. Charlie actually pouts when we run out and I am too lazy to make more right then. As with most recipes that have just a few ingredients, your final product will be a direct reflection of the quality of what you put into it. Trust me, you will not feel like you have wasted your exquisite balsamic and fancy olive oil.

greens that are just begging for...

Suzanne's Perfect Vinaigrette

1T honey
1T prepared mustard
1/3c balsamic vinegar
1/2c olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Combine honey, mustard, vinegar, and s&p in a bowl.
Briskly whisk in the olive oil. Drizzle over greens and enjoy. Pour the remainder in a jar, refrigerate, and administer as needed.

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 3
Eggs laid in the coop Sunday: 3
Eggs laid in the coop Saturday: 3
Eggs laid in the coop Friday: 4
Eggs laid in the coop Thursday: 2
Eggs laid this year: 351

No comments: