Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Dirt Digging Party

Aubrey, 20 seconds before spitting out her pacifier to gnaw on a leaf

Oh, the scramble of the last few days of fall Before The Rains. I keep thinking that we are on the cusp of ceaseless drizzle, but there are a few days that sneak in where the sun is out and the air is crisp.

Julian, Wheelbarrow Technician

Isaac, Rake Enthusiast

I was hoping today would be a day like that, since I invited friends to a Dirt Digging Party. There are a couple of toddler boys in my life who love dirt, and also a few little girls who are too tiny to hold a shovel but will happily chew on leaves. I got up early and started digging, and took many lovely breaks to brew tea, draw with chalk in the driveway, watch Kristie's awesome dog Danger chase a ball, eat soup, drink hot chocolate, kick a ball around, and just chat. In between all of that I managed to get six wheelbarrows full of dirt down to a tarp next to the un-built beds. Several friends were brave enough to take up the pickaxe and shovel and help fill the wheelbarrow. We dug several shallow graves out in the woods behind the shed.

Need anyone buried?

I'll still need plenty more dirt, but at least there was a start. Then once everyone left I picked up my drill and got one frame put together. It is too heavy to carry on my own, so I'll need to get Charlie to help me move it down to its new home. I think we excavated enough dirt today to fill one bed and it will be nice to see how it looks when full.

One bed done. The board in the middle is just a temporary prop. Behold my hardware cloth, ravenous moles, and despair!

Charlie and I went to dinner last night, and I told him about the dirt party. His response? Let's go home and we'll cook soup to feed people. I made Avgolemono (a greek lemon chicken soup) and Charlie made his now-famous tomato squash with Harissa soup. We were cooking till midnight, and it was so much fun.

chop chop chop

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 3
Eggs laid in the coop Monday: 4
Eggs laid in the coop Sunday 5
Eggs laid this year: 276

1 comment:

Kristie said...

have I mentioned how awesome you and Charlie are??