Friday, June 13, 2008

watermelon chicken deer

one-watermelon bag

After more consideration, I determined that I had in fact bought the wrong bag pattern. I saw a sample of the bag made up at a shop, and what I really wanted to buy was the pattern for a very similar but smaller bag. Aha! Much of the construction was similar but it had lighter interfacing (the big bag has actual fleece interfacing in it, to plump it out and give form) and a long inner pocket rather than side pouches. I added my usual phone pocket and did the rest according to directions. Verdict: I have been using the bag for over a week and quite like it. Since it's fabric it becomes a bit problematic while out and about in rainy town. I am loathe to put it on the floor for even a moment for fear it will get mud covered. I think it would hold up to washing just fine, but I really don't want to have to go through all of that hassle.

---------------

I finished Julia Child's autobiography recently and it made me want to have a billion pots and pans and cook all day long. I am not overall a fan of French food because they seem to relish eating bits that I would rather pass on. No matter how much one rhapsodizes on the pleasure of eating poached brains it never brings me closer to wanting to try it. Plus side to French cooking: butter. I do love that. I am inspired now to read The Art of French Cooking because the writing of it sounded like such an epic journey. I don't know how much I would cook out of it, but I am keeping my eye out for a used copy and will probably just read it in bed.


One of my favorite parts of the book were her descriptions of boning poultry, both envying her chef tutor his skill and speed and then being proud of her own increasing skill. I was making chicken soup, and decided to get an entire chicken and try my hand at dismembering it. Perhaps I managed to channel a tiny bit of her soul, because I was able to get the legs off without hacking at the joint, but for the rest I was hopeless. It didn't help that my cleaver is about as dull as a spoon.

---------------

Finally, a visitor to our yard the other day. Charlie noticed him poking around the back and managed to zoom in for a little deer-paparazzi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Julia Child! A wonderful lady: I got to meet her on two occasions, the first of which I was fortunate enough to get to spend quite a while talking to her. I will always remember her enthusiasm and practicality.

If you want a good book on French cooking and technique to go along with Julia's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", I recommend Madeline Kamman's "The New Making of a Chef". I love that book, as it tells you the why along with the how. It's a big book, but I consider it an essential reference. If you'd like one I'll send you one...