Wednesday, October 31, 2007

zero tricks

Tonight we had zero tricks and zero treats. Granted, I was completely prepared to hand out spoonfulls of my beef stroganoff dinner. You know, for the children! You come to the door expecting a snickers or hershey's bar, and instead this crazy lady hauls over her crock pot and beckons wildly with a spoon....."oh, just have a taste! It's no-peek beef stroganoff!" From a recipe so good that it has been immortalized in the Lally Family Cookbooklet, how could any child turn it down?

They could turn it down if it was served over whole wheat egg noodles, that's for sure. I always buy the same yolk-less egg noodles when making the dish, but the grocery store was out of them and I made do with a healthier alternative. Healthier, obviously, because you don't want to eat any of them. I hereby warn everyone not to attempt to substitute for proper egg noodles. Don't even try it. You will end up sliding the noodles onto a plate for the turkeys and making yourself a piece of toast to dip onto the stroganoff. If you don't have turkeys, I am not entirely sure what you will do but you certainly don't want to eat the noodles.

Yesterday was Halloween celebrated Valve-style. In the afternoon there was a kid's party and I did my part as a pirate. Luckily Julian was my pirate companion for part of the afternoon so I blended in. His bandanna was particularly festive. There were bumblebees, lions, dinosaurs, princesses, and engineers (the Team Fortress variety, not the rocket-science kind) just to name a few. There was even a unicorn who ALSO had a set of wings.

I did construct one costume contribution in the form of a grape, while Maya and her mother napped like cats next to the heater on my sewing room floor.

Maya is a little pinot noir today.

No comments: