Thursday, October 4, 2007

My, what big ruffles you have!


My last project has been received, so it is safe to post pictures of it. I found a rather old fashioned pattern a few months ago that seemed perfect for Calliope. It looks a bit old fashioned... a ruffled dress with a pinafore. I actually learned an awful lot while putting it together. I'd never made proper collars and sleeve caps, let alone ones that had a trimmed edging. The pattern unfortunately only came in toddler 2-3-4-5 sizing, so I had to do a modification to get it to fit. I scaled down the entire outfit by an iteration of the sizing (I took the space difference on the pattern between size 2 and 3 and decreased the size by that) to make it more of a size 1. Then luckily I had exact measurements of Calliope's shoulder to ankle length. That saved me, I think. Everything else can be a little big and still look cute, but if the whole thing drags on the floor then that isn't very good.


I picked simple white for the under-dress, and found a subdued red floral patten for the pinafore. Then I started thinking...this could be a party dress. And this could also be a halloween costume! So I picked up some very drape-y red velour and made a cape. It was surprisingly difficult to figure out how to make a lined hooded cape with no pattern. In the end I just closed my eyes and cut the fabric and then forced it all to fit together. It does not hold up to very close scrutiny, but it definitely is good enough for a costume.


All in all my most enjoyable project yet. I didn't even grind my teeth at having to put on about 20 teeny weeny pearl buttons. Holding that dress in your arms is such a luxurious sensation. It's rather heavy, with all of the ruffles and the fabric. I can't wait to see it on her!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravissima!

I like the way you lined the cape.

That kid will get LOTS of candy.