Friday, September 24, 2010

busy second friday

open range babies

Many fun things today, starting with......graduation from space pod to baby jails! It is most bizarre to look across the room and see a little face, rather than having to peer through plastic. Changing diapers and clothing is also about a million times easier when you don't have to do it through portholes. All of the wires are still a challenge, but I'm getting pretty good at threading them through pajama snaps and twirling them around diaper fasteners. This means that the boys are big enough to regulate their own body temperature, which is one of the many requirements for them coming home. If they are still good after 24 hours, the space pods will get moved out of the room entirely and it will feel less like a furniture store in here.

why there is your wee face, Liam. Don't wake up on my account.

Dash finishes a nose-meal and ponders the universe from my lap

Second achievement: passing their infant hearing test. That's something you don't even know you should be worried about until a woman wheels in a big cart and does Very Technical Things Very Quietly for about 5 endless minutes, and then pronounces that one or the other child has "passed." I didn't even think about failure until the test began!

there you are, feet!

Third achievement: I am wearing real shoes for the first time in months. Sandals worked through the summer, and once it got cold I was reduced to a pair of Clark clogs that were functional but less than attractive. Now that I have completed the first part of my postpartum weight loss plan (let's just say I lost 40 pounds in five days) it's pretty amazing how much of my twin-toting body was a)babies b)baby support system and c)tons of water. I can see my ankles again! Hell, I can see my feet again!

Final entertaining achievement: Dash is now the proud owner of an innie belly button. His stump fell off this morning. I think he has an exceptionally cute belly.

3 comments:

Reagan said...

I don't have anything in particular to say except that I LOVE reading your blog! :-)

Anonymous said...

Reading your descriptions is like being in baby prison with a poet planning to escape with her fellow convicts SOON.

Keep writing, it's bringing sunshine to rainy Italy.

Mom and Dad

constructobot said...

I concur with mom and dad. I vicariously thrill to see them not in spacepods- and with pleasing quilts on them. I also hope your ankles and feet bought you dinner, since they've been gone so long.