Wednesday, April 29, 2009

moss-stravaganza

a pile as big as my car

Did you think that I was exaggerating about the moss? After a solid week of raking, I finished clearing about 30% of the yard. It was all I could take. It is exhausting, raking all day every day. I had NPR and a whole lot of birds to keep me company. I also have more freckles and could possibly bench-press Charlie.

denuded of moss

Today I spread a huge amount of grass seed and then topped things off with luscious dirt to keep everything moist and happy. The sprinkler with a timer that Russel left when we bought the house (thanks!) is set up to go every day at 3pm for 10 minutes. Part of the torment of grass seed is that it needs to be kept moist. Things are a bit dreary around here, which is nice because most mornings are dewy and wet. With the help of the sprinkler my grass seed investment will pay off. Then I will continue to battle the moss and moles and whatever else comes into the yard. No more raking for a while though.

seeded, covered in dark dirt, and set up with the sprinkler

The garden is all set up and growing. Under the cloche are tomatoes, basil, and several different kinds of peppers. In the bed to the right of that are a few types of onions, beans, and squash. The front bed is mostly greens, hence the bamboo tripod covered with (invisible) bird netting. The lettuce and arugula are barely sprouting, and the carrots and parsnips are snug under plastic wrap to keep moist. In deer-sight are a row of brussel sprouts, two rows of broccoli, and a few random pumpkins. I kind of lost track of which kind are where, but among them should be a few jack o lanterns and a few cinderella pumpkins.

deer, fear my tibetan prayer flags

Now, with the exception of moss, everything GROW!

---------------

uh, lady, I am just hanging out on the deck. Honestly.

nom nom nom nom nom

did you leave this catnip just for ME?

---------------

Eggs laid in the coop today: 3
Eggs laid in the coop Tuesday: 4
Eggs laid in the coop this year: 345

No comments: