Thursday, April 16, 2009

dirt frenzy

killing slugs with style

I have decided that spring is here. If it's not pouring rain, I am out in the yard trying to get things done. All of the dirt has been ferried (in an endless sequence of wheelbarrow loads) down to the raised garden beds. The tomato hoop house has been built. Today I bought a yeti-load-full of bark to try and finish the front of the house. The bark already looks pretty damn good, and it will be beautiful once the plants start to leaf out. Hopefully the hostas will start poking their heads up next week.

before the plastic was draped over the hoops

Yesterday I got the potatoes planted in their re-purposed bins. There are still many left over so I think I'll set up a few potato hillocks around the yard. If I keep mounding compost on top then perhaps I will get a bonus crop of spuds.



This afternoon, I celebrated a long day by planting some onion starts down in the raised beds. The bird netting isn't set up yet, and if I'm lucky the deer won't notice the little sprouts until I've got it in place. Fingers crossed.

--------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 2
Eggs laid in the coop Wednesday: 4
Eggs laid in the coop Tuesday: 4
Eggs laid in the coop Monday: 3
Eggs laid in the coop this year: 305

No comments: