Thursday, April 23, 2009

I sing the crush electric

He takes ownership of the house when he crosses the threshold. He doesn't take his shoes off. He smells horribly of chain-smoked cigarettes. He never, ever, turns off the breaker in the box before he works on something. He is Les. He is my electrician.

Les comes from Pop Electric. Mona recommended them to us when we bought this house. He has come to run new wire for the pool table lights. He has answered my call for help when I tried to swap out some fixtures and ended up rendering an entire breaker unusable. It doesn't matter if it is a big job or a small one. He doesn't make fun of me for wanting to do electrical work in the house myself. He lets me watch what he is doing and learn.

So far I have definitely learned that flipping the breaker before work is optional. That probably wasn't the best lesson but yes mom I still turn everything off and test it before fiddling. It's his confidence that is impressive. He is a force of electrical nature. He came by today to fix a three-wire line that had been nicked by the people who installed our replacement projector in the basement. They had the best of intentions but managed to give a fine spark-inducing slice into a wire downstairs. I didn't have the technical capabilities to install a box that would render the repair code-worthy, so I called Les. He fixed it perfectly (like he does every time) and went on his way.

---------------

Images from the day include:

A planter on the front porch. Charlie's aunt and uncle gifted us with these neat metal chickens that I have finally found a home for.

After a week in cabo and subsequent working outside my summer crop of freckles has begun to come in. Luckily they look good against my apron.

---------------

Eggs laid in the coop today: 2
Eggs laid this year: 323

No comments: