Thursday, August 21, 2008

Shmouse

First, a peculiarity of mine. I have an intense aversion to sampling food while I am cooking it. About 2/3 of the times I cook I am working from a recipe of some kind, so aside from salting to taste I am usually fine. Charlie is used to me handing him a spoon during cooking and asking if it needs anything. Him finishing the dishes also helps because I am notoriously stingy with salt. Charlie has a magic touch with it, and I just can't get it through my head that it is ok to put salt on things and that it makes them taste better.

The problem comes on days like today. I decided to make pea soup, and had a random assortment of items to work from: smoked ham hock, some peas, an onion, and some kielbasa. I enriched some of my own vegetable stock by simmering the hock in it for an hour or so. While it was de-fatting in the measuring cup I sauteed up the onion and kielbasa pieces. Then I tossed in the dried peas.

I tried to test the broth to see how it was, and if the soup needed more spices or if the ham hock was super salty. I had a spoonful of broth and I put it my mouth and I just couldn't do it. I gagged and had to spit it out in the sink. Mind you, this reaction has absolutely nothing to do with the way the broth tasted. It's probably fine, seeing as my homemade broth has a ton of ingredients and strong notes of thyme and bay leaf. But I won't know until the soup is done. There is some switch that flips in my mind when the dish is complete and in a serving bowl.

I'd say there is a 25% chance that I will be eating toast for dinner and the chickens will have some pea soup.

Strange? Why yes, I am.
-----------

Second: don't look to closely at the picture if you are squeamish. This is how cats tell you that they love you. This is also why you never get out of bed in the morning without looking first.



-----------

Eggs laid in the coop today: 2
Eggs laid in the coop Wednesday: 3
Eggs laid this year: 24

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

IT'S GENETIC! It's one of my contributions to your gene pool. I, too, have an aversion to tasting food I'm cooking, and NEVER do so (real chef's, don't read this) and am also always worried about not enough salt....but over a lifetime I've thought, that's OK because people can now salt MY dishes to their taste...this works OK until you go to Italy (or any fancy restaurant) where people actually DO taste while they are cooking and season to perfection, and are then insulted if you add salt to their dish.... Oh well, I just hope you are relieved to know where this aversion comes from....your mom!

Anonymous said...

I knew someone with the same problem many years ago! Her solution: Put a little in a small saucer or bowl, take it over to the table, and eat it there. It was a bit of a hassle, but it got around her aversion just fine. She had some spiffy little dishes that she got just for this purpose that had their own little place of honor in the cupboard.

Another option (one that Elisabeth endorses): make Charlie do the cooking! She says that works dandy for her...

-Bruce