Wednesday, July 23, 2008

toxic realization

I am a garlic fan. Nay, a garlic fanatic. When I make a recipe I automatically double and sometimes triple the amount called for. I can't get enough of the stuff.

But right now, after eating a bowl of tomatoes and basil and balsamic vinegar and olive oil and some garlic, I am having my doubts. Perhaps 12 cloves of garlic in the bowl were too many. My mouth kind of feels like it is on fire.

Charlie is due home from soccer in about an hour. There are only two options available:

1. Force him to eat a few spoonfulls of the tomato mixture on some crackers, then carry on as if nothing has happened.

2. Wear a surgical mask and speak to him at a minimum distance of 10 feet.

Wow. I think I have hit my garlic limit. Who knew!

10.20pm result:
He happily scooped up tomatoes with crackers, remarking that there sure was a lot of garlic in there. I kissed him to celebrate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My decadent treat is sprinkling minced raw garlic onto a dab of peanut butter (crunchy, of course) on a spoon. No cracker, no toast; straight up.

Eating it is an experience of buttery smoothness from the peanuts and then a ripple of fire from the raw garlic that takes your breath away.

Don Paolo

Then your breath returns to haunt you.