Monday, February 16, 2009

valentine calorie coma

The Valentine weekend at the brownian house started like it does every year.....with the annual Opening Of Mom's Valentine. I have learned over the years to open them either outside or over the sink because of the awesome glitter that is always included. My hands were covered in little twinkling bits of valentine enthusiasm as I read mom's message for this year. Sporting a big smile I clipped it to the refrigerator and completed the second step of every Valentine: The Removal And Storage Of Mom's Last Valentine. Then this year's was clipped up and will stay there occasionally raining glitter over the course of the year.

Test Dodge (18) to avoid being covered in glitter

I made a double batch of chocolate chip cookies using a variation on a recipe that was published in the New York Times and then adapted slightly by one of my favored food writers Orangette. The magic supposedly included some alchemical reaction that could only be obtained by letting the dough rest overnight in the fridge. I followed her directions but substituted a 1oz scoop because I don't like enormous cookies. Verdict: they were very tasty but not as chewy as I like. That probably came from my size subtitution. Perhaps next time I'll cook them a shorter time. Perhaps there should not be a next time, because even though I gave most of them away I still found myself standing in the kitchen on Friday morning with a glass of milk in my hand deciding that it was completely rational to have two cookies for breakfast.

little portioned balls look very professional

they were definitely the most photogenic cookies I've ever made

Saturday was our own holiday, spent as they usually are in cooking. Charlie wrote up several menu choices for me and I picked the italian option but substituted the dessert from the spicy mexican selection. The result: cheese and fruit and a lovely Barolo while cooking, then veal and chicken lasagna with prosciutto-and-fontina wrapped asparagus, and finally spicy chipotle brownies for dessert. We ate tiny portions and were still completely and totally stuffed. Decadence obtained.

an amazing Wisconsin aged gruyere, dates, and strawberries

pasta glamour shot for Maryanne...

lasagna mmm

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop this year: 157

No comments: