Friday, February 20, 2009

In the interest of fairness, I must also point out that Henry is no slouch at sun-collecting.
---------------


For Christmas the lovely Elisa gave me a wire chicken basket. Martha recommends storing potatoes or onions in it or using it as a centerpiece. I have a much more practical use for it: gathering eggs from the coop. Often on my way out there I am juggling a bin of treats for the girls (vegetable trimmings, leftover food, that sort of thing) and don't have hands free to carry multiple eggs. I know from experience that putting them in your pockets is not a wise choice. When kids visit they love gathering eggs and a toddler's enthusiastic grip is about as reliable as a pocket. Handles are much easier for everyone. I gussied the basket up with a little pad to keep the eggs from rolling around and it is just the thing.

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 3
Eggs laid in the coop Thursday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop this year: 167

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Am I the only one who is shocked (SHOCKED) that you didn't already have one of those chicken-shaped wire baskets? I would have thought it some sort of requirement for -having- chickens.