Sunday, January 25, 2009

Shumai

ready to combine

I hadn't even heard of dim sum until I moved to Seattle. Charlie was introduced to this Chinese cuisine while living near San Francisco and learned to love the perpetual-motion loop of steam carts and little food wagons pulling past your table, tempting you with things you couldn't quite identify. For me, the first few times it was good to have someone in-the-know along to recommend especially tasty items. Charlie's favorite are little steamed fish dumplings perched atop green pepper slices. I love lo mai gai (I think this is the correct name....Karen, tell me if I'm wrong because you've made it for me in the past), sticky rice and meat steamed in lotus leaves. Then there are hum bow (bbq pork inside sweet buns), sesame balls, custard buns, and many other delectable choices.

assembled shumai

We both like shumai. There are endless varieties, but it is fundamentally a meat-shrimp-mushroom-vegetable paste inside a thin wrapper and then steamed. Tonight Charlie decided he was going to make chicken and shrimp shumai. He led us off to Uwajimaya to get the necessary ingredients (I did not even want to attempt to make shumai wrappers from scratch) and then home to start the chopping. He substituted shitake for the more traditional black chinese mushrooms because I'm a bit of a mushroom chicken. We stuffed a whole bunch of wrappers, and then steamed four to test them and see if they were good. While they were in the steamer, he whipped up a dipping sauce. Were they delicious? Oh my yes. I am waiting right now for our dinner guests to arrive so that we can cook the rest and I can eat them until I can eat no more.

ready to come out of the steamer

---------------

Eggs laid in the coop this year: 92

1 comment:

constructobot said...

ooh, yum! can we make them, can we make them when we visit? I have also lusted after making dim sum, but in the maelstrom of my toddler-assisted kitchen, it seemed overwhelming. Can I help you make like 500?