Wednesday, December 3, 2008

You are a universe

Today's title comes from my Wednesday-friend, a six year old who I mentor in artistic endeavors every week. Her comment came in a quiet moment of contemplation, when I was crocheting and she was spooling yarn out to me. I'm guessing the concept was a result of her recent interest in space, but knowing the source doesn't make it any less of an insightful statement. There is something about working with your hands, with yarn or paper or scissors or tape, and making that can center you. You are a universe.

I was a very happy universe this morning when I took the Yeti for emissions testing and he passed. Passed quite handily, in fact. I was dreading having to quick-like find a trusty mechanic and get things fixed. Buying a used car sets into effect a cascade of required papers and registrations and they have a 15-day period do be done. As of 1pm today, everything was complete and the Yeti is a licensed and registered member of our family.

The piano has been taken over by this years' nativity scene. The newest addition is the alligator handler. For now everything is set up neatly, but I encourage visitors to move things around and create their own tableaux. From left to right:

behind-the-scenes of the production, with hazmat and portable toilet

The traditional center: Jesus & family, plus a livestock audience

Over to the right, craft services, a nun overseeing the production, and the evil contingent trying to steal the loot of...

...the right most side. Wise men, a viking prince, and Santa are all being asked to fork over the loot. (apologies for the wonky lighting. I haven't the energy to figure out why this photo exposed with the tungsten setting)


1 comment:

Reagan said...

heh. I love the out-house.