Monday, May 19, 2008

Wait for it, you will


I have been walking around for a week with an envelope in my purse that needed mailing. It was a thank you note, which always should be timely. Unfortunately stamps went up in price last week and in order to mail the card I needed a penny stamp.

Why a penny stamp? Because I can't stand the goofy looking eternity stamps, or whatever they are called: they-will-never-go-up-in-price stamps that the post office has now. They are so boring with a relatively uninspired yet patriotic liberty bell on them. I don't like them. So many months ago when I was last at the post office I bought a sheet of Yoda stamps. I didn't realize that postage would be raised so quickly.

At any rate, I was out this morning and ran into the Kirkland post office to grab some once-cent-ers. There was a big line at the main counters, so I decided to use the self service kiosk in the deserted lobby. I swiped my debit card and asked for one cent stamps. The highest quantity you could get was five, which I thought was pretty bizarre. Charge 5 cents to my debit card? Well, ok then. Every step took forever. Swiping, then a bunch of buttons, then the machine just kept saying "in progress" on the screen. I had places to be and was not in the mood for machine delays. After a minute or so I muttered "Jesus god, would you print already? All I want is to use my Yoda stamps."

And from behind me I heard a man's voice say "Amen!"


Yeah. Turns out I wasn't alone in that lobby. But at least I was overheard by a someone who (judging from the huge grin on his face) understood the importance of Using Your Yodas.

No comments: