Monday, July 6, 2009

Time Machine

third grade, bows galore

obviously I had strange body image issues, because I drew myself as some sort of chicken with pants.

I knew that dad was sending me a pile of my old comics....we had one of our fun videoconferences last week and he held them up and I picked which ones I still wanted. The rest are going to the eager reading eyeballs of my cousin.

some of the loot. Oh, Punisher, how you helped me with the turmoil of adolescence

What I did not expect was two huge boxes crammed with treasures. Some of it I'm not even sure what it is, but since I got to it late at night it's a bit too late to call the east coast for explanations. Pictures of some of those things will follow once I know what they are.

I find it fascinating that there was a time in my life when I did not know how to write my own name.

patches, pictures, such a varied past

But today? How about my microscope? Or perhaps every single report card of my academic career? Drawings from early childhood. About a bazillion achievement awards. Not that I was awesome, because one of the awards is for completing a math dot-to-dot chapter. I think the bar may have been a bit low, or else the teachers really liked awards. But I had completely forgotten things like the John Philip Sousa award from the music department. Or the certificates and critiques from my piano competitions.

the only sport I was ever good at

If you ever need to clone me, my mom saved a big hank of my hair

girl scouts!

There were letters and notes from my guidance counselor, whom I loved dearly. Lots of letters from my parents to me while I was at summer camp. Dolls, goggles, a hat, and loads of other stuff. I spent the evening paging through old yearbooks and newspaper clippings and laughing at how much of my own life I have forgotten over the years. It was such a treat to be handed so many memories back.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, your observations about life make me smile. I think you should start writing a novel. Constanza