Thursday, November 27, 2008

Gobble

early

6am: Time to start the charcoal. Fashionably dressed in pajama pants, clogs, a t shirt, sweatshirt, and stocking cap I putter around the back porch and get the charcoal loaded into the chimney. Thankfully I remembered to start the pecan wood smoking last night. Damn, it is cold. But by 7am the turkey is tucked into a pan and squeezed onto the grill. I think we've hit the size limit with a 26 pound turkey. Now I just have to keep an eye on the heat (around 275) and wait.


8am: cup of tea. Bliss. Charlie is already starting the stuffing. I made cornbread and turkey stock for it last night, along with my tasty cranberry sauce. Our friends always enjoy the "Charlie's canned vs. Sarah's fresh" contest. I usually win, but Charlie never gives up. He loves the canned jelly stuff.

Only an hour to go until I can watch the Macy's parade. Having to get through all of the crappy pop singers and flashy floats and banal commentary is worth it for The Marching Bands. Oh, sweet nellie do I love me some marching bands.

2 comments:

Maggi said...

http://tsutpen.blogspot.com/2008/11/miniseries-11-les-grands-ballons-de.html

thought you might like these photos of the Macy's parade from yester year :)

Oh and hot damn that bird was big! and delicious. Thanks again for a fabulous thanksgiving. You guys are always incredibly gracious and generous for hosting dinner with such a rag tag bunch of us.

constructobot said...

I missed Macys, but I want you to know that I tied a knot out of gold cord that could have gone right on the drum major's shoulder. Okay, it was for a renaissance at, but I was thinking marching band