Friday, April 18, 2008

Harold's Exciting Day

We think it happened sometime on the Friday afternoon right before we got home from Mexico. Something, probably a coyote, carried Marian off. I couldn't find even a feather. Harold has been wandering around outside gobbling incessantly looking for her. I couldn't bear the idea of getting another hen and having her eaten too so I posted on Craigslist to see if anyone had a safer happier home for Harold. To my surprise there was great interest. I picked a local park that has a farm outreach program. They had a turkey pair and had the same experience where the hen was taken but not the tom, and he was just as lonely. So with Mona's help I wrapped up a (surprisingly heavy) turkey in a towel and put him in a huge dog kennel and drove him over there this morning.

That duck, Buzz, REALLY wants to be friends. He followed Harold everywhere.

The best part: he'll be happy. The second best part: I can visit him anytime. I got to pet some sheep and baby goats and check out their rabbits and chickens. Since there is a lot of human traffic they don't usually have predator problems and frankly I can't think of many animals bold enough to take on TWO male turkeys. Goodbye Harold, I'll come to visit you with some corn sometime soon.

------------

In other thoughts, where is my warm weather? In the space of a week I have gone from this:

Charlie's legs are a perfect nesting spot for Isaac on a pool-break

to this today:
another four inches of fluffly misery

2 comments:

constructobot said...

poor turkey hen! I'm glad you found a nice spot for Harold, where you won't have to worry about coyotes. If I were you, I'd want to be like Grandpa Earl, sitting on the back porch with my shotgun .... waiting. (I think he was waiting for squirrels, but you would be far more righteous)

Hollie said...

Are your other chickens safe? I know you have lots of baby chicks, or do they live i a safer pen area?