Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Brownian National Park: Cleanup '09

In honor of Charlie's, ah, fervent dislike of spiders: an enormous guest.

the only two pumpkins that grew in the garden...misshapen, but homegrown!

Today was day 1 of Brownian National Park Cleanup '09: The Driveway. The leaves haven't started to drop heavily yet, but they are so enormous and unwieldy that I decided to tidy up the front of the house so that I would have a clean slate to rake on. I pruned the ivy that had started to creep onto the driveway, neatened up some of my favorite ferns, moved windblown sticks and limbs, and pulled the last of the tenacious weeds. And then I met my fall friend the leaf blower. Five hours later, the front yard is looking relatively tidy. I'm kind of dreading the big push that will come next week or the one after. At first the dinner-plate sized broadleaf maple leaves seem like a great workout (and they are) but after days and days of raking and piling and dragging and throwing I am completely exhausted.

the chickens regard you from the coop

clean driveway, ready to be covered with leaves and cedar bits

While taking a break, I took the chickens some treats and checked the nestbox. Success! Two eggs laid today and both of them were sitting in the bottom tray waiting for me.

tasty x 2

---------------

Eggs laid in the coop today: 2
Eggs laid this year: 725

No comments: