Monday, March 2, 2009

Bed Rumple-er

Charlie has this issue with snoring. It's not his fault really....he inherited his father's narrow windpipe and rather mellow soft palate. The first night we spent together in the same bed, I remember being awake, watching him sleep in the moonlight and it was so lovely and then he wasn't breathing. For almost a minute. Then gasp! snort! he started again. After some sleep studies his apnea was cataloged as "for an hour of sleep you are probably breathing for maybe half of that at best." I've seen him stop for several minutes at a time. Once he was introduced to a cpap machine he started sleeping through the night and actually resting. But when his nose is stuffy then the cpap doesn't work so well and he sleeps in another bedroom.

So he snores. If Paul Bunyan traded in his trusty axe for a nice chainsaw, it would be a good representation.

rumpled bed in need of making....or is it?

At any rate, he sleeps in another room. Some nights he'll get up and leave after I've fallen asleep and I barely notice until I'm making beds the next morning. Last year it seemed to be getting out of hand. I mean, yes we have three equipped bedrooms upstairs. One is a proper guest room, the other is someday expected to convert to a kid's room. There were days when both extra beds were mussed. I thought, ok, you fall asleep in one bed and it's uncomfortable perhaps? Maybe the other bed sounded better? I can't recall how many made beds it took to push me to ask, but I finally did. And he looked at me innocently. He really hadn't been sleeping in both of the beds.

The culprit: Harry.

Harry, busted this afternoon by me (he heard me taking pictures)

One day I saw the covers mussed and tried to straighten them and met resistance. At night Harry will join us in the bed and often come under the covers to lay between us. It's one of his more endearing qualities, what with all the warm fur and purring and all. But I had no idea that he was burrowing on his own time. Then another day I actually caught him doing a comic nudge-shove-nose-shove-push routine that eventually corkscrewed him a foot or so under the blankets. If you put your hand in to pet him it is about 200 degrees in there. I have no idea how he manages to breathe. But he loves it. And I just keep making the beds and laughing.

---------------
Eggs laid in the coop today: 5
Eggs laid in the coop Sunday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop Saturday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop Friday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop Thursday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop Wednesday: 1
Eggs laid in the coop Tuesday: 2
Eggs laid in the coop this year: 189

2 comments:

Hollie said...

You are not alone! I have a burrowing kitty. My Barbarella she also burrows laundry hampers and random strewn clothing. She appreciates hooded sweatshirts

Anonymous said...

Elisabeth had very severe sleep apnea, and has used a CPAP machine for about 6 years or so now, I think. She uses it every night, congested or not, and after 6 years of it she can go several nights before snoring starts up again. When she has a cold it still seems to work for her, I don't know how. After using if for several years she's now able to go several nights without it before the snoring starts to be an issue again.

And we also have a burrowing cat. He'll do it any time of day or night, as it strikes his fancy. We often find Lazarus as a lump in the waterbed. If I could just get him to remove the kitty litter from between his toes before he burrows! It gets tiresome to have to brush the kitty litter out of the bed, or to roll over it in the middle of the night. Who knew such little paws could hold so much litter?